This post is sponsored by FAGE; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’ll admit: I was skeptical that a make-at-home bagel with Greek yogurt as the main ingredient would be edible AND that I would be able to bake them on my own.
So I was SHOCKED when they were actually delicious. And easy! And the recipe only calls for 6 ingredients and no special equipment. #winning!
Even my 6-year-old daughter said ‘these are the best everything bagels I’ve ever had! you made these?!’
Like I mentioned earlier, the main ingredient in these bagels is FAGE Total 0% Plain Greek yogurt, which means they have a ton more protein than the average bagel – an easy way to sneak it in if you have a picky child.
FAGE Total 0% Plain Greek yogurt has no added sugar, is made with milk from non-GMO fed cows, and packs 18 grams of protein in one 6oz cup.
The original Skinnytaste Bagel recipe can be found here – along with variations to make them gluten-free or dairy-free.
I followed the original Skinnytaste bagel recipe to a T and shared it below!
SkinnyTaste Bagel Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup FAGE Total 0% Plain Greek yogurt – anything with a higher fat content is too sticky
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (if it’s expired it won’t rise)
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 egg white, beaten (for the bagel ‘wash’ to get the seasoning to stick)
- Everything Bagel Seasoning – or you could totally improvise this and use poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion flakes, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper – spray it with oil so the bagels don’t stick.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork – it will look like small crumbles at first, NOT like a ball of dough.
- Lightly dust flour on your work surface and knead the dough until it’s tacky but not sticky. Honestly, I think mine was a little too sticky but the bagels turned out awesome so don’t let that deter you.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ‘ropes’ and form bagels – see pic below.
- Use a silicone brush to wet the bagel with the egg white wash and press the bagel into a plate of the bagel seasoning. I did both sides of the bagels AND the sides because you can never have too much Everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes – I checked on mine several times starting at 20 minutes but 25 minutes was spot on. Let them cool before you cut them.
If you aren’t a bagel lover, here are 5 delish savory Greek yogurt recipes and a family-friendly salmon Greek yogurt recipe. I’ve also used FAGE Total 5% Plain Greek yogurt to make an insanely delicious Green Goddess Dressing recipe.