This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you).
I’ve shared via Instagram Stories that we have something BIG coming soon… and no, it’s not a baby ;). We’re doing a BIG remodel of our current house. I always love reading about what other people are doing with their homes so I decided to write a quick post about all the details of our plans – why we’re remodeling, what we’re changing, and the overall look we’re going for 🙂 Here are the deets:
WHY we’re remodeling
We’ve been in this home for 5+ years and want to stay here forever. It’s a great house in an amazing location and we have plenty of space BUT we don’t currently have a layout that fits our family. Our home was built over 75 years ago, so the structure isn’t designed to serve a modern family’s lifestyle. Many of the finishes aren’t
our my style and I’m ready to make our home 100% US!
What we’re changing & moving
- Moving and redoing our entire kitchen – everything will be in a completely new spot and everything will be new – cabinets, appliances, windows, the whollllleeee thing
- Adding a BIG island to the center of the kitchen
- Opening up a wall from an ~8 foot opening to a ~16 foot opening to achieve an open kitchen/living space
- Adding a walk-in pantry – we currently do NOT have a pantry!
- Moving a few windows and *hopefully* adding more light in general
- Getting rid of our cozy den and turning it into a breakfast area/informal dining area + adding a skylight
- Revamping the look of our mudroom (painting cabinets, redoing floors)
- Creating a laundry room from a laundry closet (woo hoo!) and adding a soaking sink + folding station
- Totally redoing the first-floor powder room
- Adding a *hidden* family command center… you know that area of your counter where mail and junk just piles up? We’re going to hide all that in a drop zone behind a cabinet door. My anxiety levels are already decreasing!
- Adding a walk-in closet to our master
- Redoing our entire master bath
- Moving a linen closet upstairs
First Floor Currently + Plans
Second Floor Currently + Plans
As you can see from the list and the plans, we’re touching a LOT of the house, especially on the first level. We do have a finished basement and most of the second floor will be intact, but a lot of work will need to be done via the basement because of all the reconfiguring we’re doing on the first floor. Originally we thought we might be able to time it so that “big” stuff could be done while we’re out of town on summer trips, but it just doesn’t make sense to plan the construction around our travel plans. I really didn’t want a toddler walking around a construction zone, not to mention the other two curious kids I have running around this joint. So, we’re going to move out, as painful as that sounds. We found a condo nearby and will be getting cozy for a few months until this project is finished.
What we want
Basically, my main requests are:
- A space that serves our family and entertaining – I LOVE a big open kitchen that spills into a living space. Our design definitely has all that going on!
- More light – our home faces N/S and most of the windows are N/S facing, meaning we don’t get a ton of natural light throughout the day. We’re adding skylights and windows where we can and I’m SO excited to see what a little extra natural light coupled with a more open floorplan can do!
- An updated, modern farmhouse-ish vibe. Think white shaker, subway tile, penny tile, lots of neutrals, industrial touches, black, white & natural wood, and texture. Simple, inviting, modern yet comfortable.
Here are some of the existing spaces in our house if you want to take a look: