“Play with your brother – that’s basically the reason we had him.” – goes the saying… and, no, I didn’t make that up ;). Boredom is the killer of joy among my kids – I avoid filling their days with activities because they need to learn how to occupy themselves. But I find that they – and therefore, we – are so much happier and content when they’re busy playing.
They’re still too young for me to lock outside for the summer (I’m kidding!) so I encourage Quinn and Cooper to play together inside, outside, at home, and on-the-go. They’re also still a bit too young to play actual games, like soccer or baseball, or ride their bikes solo, so we have to get creative when playing because I don’t want to referee every minute of every day. Here are a few of our favorite “games” to play on-the-go, no equipment needed.
6 Games Kids Can Play ANYWHERE
- Balance Contest – just what it sounds like: who can stand on one foot the longest? Variations: who can hop the longest on one foot? And who can stand on one foot with one eye closed?
- Jumping Beans – who can jump the highest? Don’t worry, they’re supervised while catching air.
- Quiet Game – a total classic and golden game for parents everywhere.
- I Spy – Cooper is still REALLY bad at this game but it’s still hilarious to play.
- Scavenger Hunt – this one is really easy for outside play and buys you at least 20 minutes of occupied time. Ask kids to do things like: find 3 green leaves, or bring me 2 brown rocks, or pick up 5 sticks bigger than your hand – you get the idea.
- Dance Party – best for the outdoors ;). This is easy – I just play whatever song is on their list of the moment via my phone – lately it’s been the SING soundtrack, Moana or Handsclap by Fitz & The Tantrums.
One of our favorite play-fueling snacks are CLIF Kid Zbars – the kids love them because they taste amazing (I’ve been known to swipe the Apple Almond Butter bars from the kids) and they’re soft and chewy. I love them because they are actually nutritious, organic and non-GMO, and not loaded with junk like high fructose corn syrup. Win/win! CLIF is a great brand that encourages outdoor play for kids – trying to keep them “going, growing, and exploring” which is my goal, too.
Am I missing any great games for little kids to play on-the-go or outside?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.